Monday, June 25, 2012

MMM vs Burger Records 7/23/12

Hey a post back from the dead. So I haven't been able to get out to LA and have been in a malaise and really a serious lack of motivation to write about music since being stuck in the OC for the past few months. Luckily the perfect band brought LA to me and played Burger Records in Fullerton an easy 5 minutes from my house. So like most small shows it says it starts at 9 but the first band didn't go on til nearly 10. They were a decent enough indie punk band which my friend said reminded her of Sex Bob-Omb from Scott Pilgrim and felt that was pretty apt way to describe their sound, simple and fun and a little catchy. I never caught their name so they will be forever lost to the shuffle.

The next band, Feeding People, was a real surprise and a local OC band that I know I am going to want to try and catch again plus hear what they sound like in recorded format. I think what I like most about them is that I cannot easily define their sound. You can definitely hear some garage punk/rock influence in there especially when they are rocking out but I think my favorite if their stuff was when they slowed it down and featured keyboards and the amazing etheral voice of lead singer Jessie who had such a sweet and inviting and loving stage presence that had your eyes locked on her through their whole set.

Next a band called Haunted Tiger played but I never heard them as I was busy conversing with some LA friends that I had not seen in a minute plus so new friends from the band Feeding People.

And then Manhattan Murder Mystery came on and did what they always do. I am not sure what else I can say about this band that I haven't already stated ad nauseum in past blog posts. I don't know if I can state it enough times how much I love that Todd McLaughlin has become a permanent member of MMM. I don't think MMM can put on a bad show, they are playing with such a confidence that comes through while harnassing frontman Matthew Teardrop's reckless abandon that if this doesn't get your feet moving and wanting to rock the fuck out then something must be wrong with you. And they just played a blistering set that seemed like it was over as soon as it started even though it was nearly 50 minutes later where they played 3 songs I have yet to hear one of them being a cover of a 90's song that while I knew it while I heard it the rest of the night makes me not be able to recall what song that was. As after the show the afterparty went back to Laura's apartment that kept the night going til 5 in the morning. What a great night and a great way to rejuvenate my spirit. Expect some blog poasts about some newish albums I have been listening to coming this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment