Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Saturday, September 3rd 2011

A little late getting this post up about the first showcase by the blog Feed Your Head at Lot 1 Cafe and for once I wasn't late for the first performer of the night. Which was Omar Velasco and he really blew me away with the great melody of his singing. On top of that the songwriting was very interesting and impressive being that he was alone on stage with just his guitar sometimes acoustic sometimes electric but always splendid. More people should made it out early because you missed a real treat and I look forward to hear more from Omar Velasco in the future.

The second band was Dirt Bird and while the two girls in the band are very impressive singers and had a an interesting minimalist gothic sound to them just wasn't for me. Though I seemed to be in the minority in this opinion for those attending so I am just going to move forward to the reason I made the trip to Lot 1 tonight.

And that reason was to see Rob Danson and his band Death to Anders play and they did not disappoint. Lead singer/guitarist Rob Danson has such a great and unique sound to his voice and the way he plays guitar that I can listen to him play all the time and not get bored. They debuted a few new songs and are just as solid if not better than any of their older stuff that I am really excited to hear the finished product from their time in the studio.

And to finish the night was the wonderful Judson McKinney. Who has the great 60's folk quality to his songwriting that harkens back to great songwriting of a time passed. Though with more rock and roll influence in the final product than just straight folk music, but he is just as good when he played a song without any backing band so it had just him and his guitar. My favorite part of Judson McKinney's music was the use of a violin as the lead instrument for most of the songs and what a great unique stamp it gave to the bands sound. This was my first time seeing them play and I know it won't be my last as I greatly enjoyed their music.

I want to say for Brad's first show he put together he got a lot of great music and was a good time had by all that made it. I know I plan on making it to his show next month cause word on the street is George Glass is playing and that is something you don't want to miss....

No comments:

Post a Comment